9/20/10

Sun 9/19 - AM 90 minutes incl. 3.6 mile road race

The back end of the ill-advised weekend double went better than expected. Sluggish and unmotivated warming up, hobbling around on the left hip which was tight and sore after yesterday. Some last minute direct pressure on the TFL area ended up being a life-saver as it released the worst of the sticking and opened up my stride so that I could run halfway comfortably. The area remains an ongoing mess though. Lingering fatigue and tiredness left me feeling quite vulnerable on the starting line. In the end though ran alone from the gun, felt relaxed if not particularly quick. Splits of 5:15, 5:30, 5:16, and 3:14 for the last bit. The location of the second mile marker seems to vary a bit from year to year, this year it seemed a bit further down the road. Easy relaxed 45 minute cooldown in Area 51. Feeling pretty satisfied with myself for pulling this one out of the fire until I looked at previous years' results. Hard to believe I cruised through 3 miles in under 15 minutes on this thing three years ago. I could have done the same three months ago when I was fit and running track races, but even that now feels like it was three years ago, before the left adductor and iliopsoas started plaguing me in August. Avoiding any fast stuff, even strides, of course leads to no sharpness in the legs at all right now as a result. Weather conditions generally favorable if a little on the muggy side.

2 comments:

Historian said...

Congratulations on yet another win in Maynard! You looked very much in command of the race when you passed my house at the corner of Summer Street and Summerhill road.

I was personally sorry to have to miss this year's race because of a badly sprained toe.

Mark Mayall said...

Thanks, it was a good day to be out there. It seemed there were more people than usual standing on the side of the road in the second mile of the course. Hope your toe feels better.