8/29/08

Thu 8/28 - PM 60 minutes incl. 5k in 15:41

Squeezed in another road race for the express purpose of winning either $ or shoes, as it turns out it was the former. The quaint seaside location was also a draw. The quotes in this recap hint at the rollercoaster nature of this course, nothing incredibly steep but a lot of up and down, including a bombs away downhill start that allowed the requisite 9 year old kids on the front of the line to keep up longer than usual. Felt fairly lousy on the warmup, with legs somewhat sore. Found myself leading right away, not by choice really but the pace needed to be at a certain level to get rid of all pretenders. This left one guy who gave me a steady stream of positive feedback and encouragement. This was quite unnerving as I had no idea who he was and I had the distinct impression he was sitting on me and waiting for the right moment to leave me in the dust. Got to the final uphill stretch before the 3 mile mark and knew I had to make my move there, as I had stretched him out on every uphill on the course prior to that. This turned out to be enough to secure the win. Mile splits of 4:57, 5:06, and 5:07 or so. Cooldown was a very easy 20 minutes. Excellent conditions again, warm dry with a cooling breeze off the water.

No comments: