7/5/14

Fri 7/4 - AM 55 minutes incl. 4 mile road race

Hindsight's always 20/20 but I should have stayed at home in bed. Thought I could sandbag my way to a pair of shoes I don't even need but it became clear by the halfway mark that wasn't going to happen. This is partly the reason why the first 2 miles went in just over 11 minutes and the last two in just under 12. With smarter pacing I might have been able to run a few clicks faster but it would have been pointless as I was almost 30 seconds back of the last winning slot. A gap that might as well have been 2 or 3 minutes. In fact based on the recent 5k on the track, 5:30 pace or thereabouts was theoretically doable but a combination of being really tired and disgusting humidity said otherwise. In fact the exhaustion was palpable during the warmup which was the first sign of trouble. Thus this race takes its place with the fool's errands from previous months. One from each month going back to March actually. To top it all off I had to clear my name afterward as they initially had my time completely wrong. Cooldown was brief and very slow, I thought I'd do an easy jog later in the day but by the time I got home after lunch the hurricane related weather had arrived and a cool rain was falling hard.

No comments: