6/23/13

Sat 6/22 - double, 90 minutes total incl. 5k road race plus 20 minutes in Walden

AM - dull, flat 5k in Plymouth. Not worth the trip alas, no chance at a money spot given who decided to show up this year, even if I weren't in poor form at the moment. As it was, I foolishly thought I could  hang with the chase pack for the first uphill mile of the race and realized soon after I had bitten off more than I could chew. Packed it in subconsciously soon after 2 miles and really slowed down the final 800 or so. Nothing in the past week or two to indicate I had a chance in hell of acquitting myself well, between the leg issues and sore throat that's only finally clearing up after a solid two weeks of coughing. With the multiple long days and getting to bed close to/after midnight it was another case of delusion at work. Hammie and glute stiff and tight from the first step to the last, with the added wrinkle of adhesions along the iliac crest that I noticed while warming up. Direct pressure works well on this area but there's only so much you can do 15 minutes before the gun goes off. Conditions have gradually turned more sticky over the past day or so, made it even more of a slog.

PM - 30 minutes very easy plus 20 minutes in Walden. Desparately needed dip after a long hot day. Barely shuffling along on the trip to and from the car to the pond. Glute/piriformis were massively stuck after the drive home from the race but the area responded well to work with the lax ball and foam roller.

No comments: