1/12/13

Fri 1/11 - PM 55 minutes incl. 880 time trial

A mistake to try this, but unable to stop myself from doing it regardless. Ego-driven insecurity at its finest. The pain in the butt on the right side has become the new quasi-injury obsession and it affected everything. More icing of it during the day at work. Took a good long warmup, 20+ minutes outside with another 10 indoors. While it felt somewhat stuck at the start of the warmup I felt like it was getting somewhat better as time wore on. Still, felt it necessary to roll on a lax ball repeatedly between warmup and drills and then again between drills and 4x110 strides. The time trial itself was a dud, originally when I had set my sights on doing this a couple weeks back the plan was to run five laps close to 2:50. A pipe dream under the current circumstances though, between the leg and feeling the usual end of workweek fatigue. Scaled back expectations to an 880 in the 2:16-18 range, ended up running 2:19.3. Blasted through the first 440 in just over 67 seconds and felt my arms and legs start to wither quite suddenly. The last 330 was nothing but a chore. Thought about stopping at three laps but decided to give it one more go-round, slightly faster on the last lap compared to the third. Immediately afterward my first thought was I was too tired to put my best foot forward, but as I jogged around on an easy cooldown feeling the glute go steadily into lockdown it became clear there was more at work than just being flat. It feels like the crux of the problem is with the high hamstring attachment, and all the tightness and stiffness around this is just from favoring and compensating. I fear that the slip on the patch of ice last Saturday evening did more to the right hammie than I had realized. Not sanguine at all about how things will go going forward. Third year in a row I've been incapable of staying healthy through December and January, each year a different variation on the same tired theme. I fucking hate winter.

No comments: