1/9/13

Tue 1/8 - PM 60 minutes incl. 4x1100y, 2(440,330,220,110)

A mixed platter of threshold and more turnover-oriented stuff, at least in theory. In practice it was something of a chore thanks mainly to right hammie being a stiff stuck mess. Whatever I did to it on Saturday when I hit the deck, the stiffness spread into the glute and piriformis. Made for a somewhat reduced range of motion and more effort than it should to run a given pace as a result. I have to think the hike on Sunday might have left its mark. To top things off, I strained the medial left ankle doing strides before starting the workout, basically overpronating on deceleration. Sharp pain that I was able to deal with by modifying the stride but had me quite nervous. This particular thing has happened in the past wearing thin-soled shoes in the woods, no doubt a factor here as well.

As for the actual workout, I originally had thought of running a couple six-lappers to start. Decided while warming up that maybe three 1000s (1100y on the imperial track) instead would be more substantial. That line of thinking led to four reps instead of three. Ideally they would have been more of a progression than what actually happened, which was fairly metronomic pace. All four within a second of 3:20, with a lap jog between in just under a minute. Changed into spikes while taking a 6+ minute break for two sets of 4-3-2-1 with 3-2-1 jog. Splits:

70.4 (80.6 jog)
53.2 (53 jog)
35.4 (29 jog)
17.5
5:39 total

4.5 minute rest

70.3 (?? button issues)
?? (54 jog)
36.4 (28 jog)
17.6
5:43 total
the 300 jog and subsequent 300 took 2:16

The first 400 felt barely under control, trying to run around 72 after how clunky the legs felt during the first part of the workout. Staggered through the recovery jog. The numbers show quite definitively that there were no gears available beyond the one I was using in the 400, hitting that pace throughout more or less. The second time around felt like I was flogging a dead horse, discretion might have been the better part of valor at that point but I couldn't help myself. Jog/crawl for 12 minutes with right thigh up to my butt stiffening up all the while.

No comments: