12/30/12

Sat 12/29 - AM 60 minutes incl. track mile

First track race in six months, first indoor track race in a lot longer, and first try at the mile in even longer than that. I think the last mile I raced was two years ago as part of a 3k/mile double. I was able to run within .08 of my seed time so a qualified success, although the all-important time to hit is 4:33. Spent most of the morning obsessing over the state of the calf and wondering if it would hold up to the strain after the past few days of quasi-setbacks thanks to slippery conditions. This gnawing worry lasted right until the gun went off in fact. However, it wasn't an issue during the race, although it did stiffen up some afterward. Right hammie also continues to be pinched, piriformis involved as well I think. The race itself was mostly metronomic. I'd like to think the last quarter was a little quicker but if so it wasn't by much. Immediately fell into a rhythm of 34.5-35 second laps. Given the nature of the competition (i.e. young and stupid for the most part) this meant I started near the back and found myself chasing only the leader with a lap to go. Got passed with 100 to go, not that it mattered as I was just trying to squeeze out a little more speed at that point. Hopefully the last lap was under 34. Woke up feeling kind of flat and not especially well-rested, caffeine helped with this but I can certainly put myself in a better position for the next try at this distance in 3 weeks. The fact that the next meet is on Sunday also helps.

No comments: