1/2/13

Tue 1/1 - AM 60 minutes incl. 5k road race

Quite possibly a disaster as what was supposed to be a low-key sandbagging effort resulted in yet another muscle strain. This time, seemingly out of the blue, the left hammie went on me just after the mile mark, after doing a warmup, after doing drills, after spending most of the first mile of the race trying to get into some kind of rhythm after feeling quite flat and tired from the word go. In hindsight all the time spent in the snowshoes yesterday certainly played a role but at the time I was dumbfounded by it. Stubborn idiot that I am the thought of stopping didn't really occur to me and I continued to slog it out, no doubt aggravating the strain with each step. I was going only fast enough to keep the rest of the field at bay, but every penny of the prize money I earned (and then some) will be going towards a much-overdue massage in the near future. Crawled through a very gentle cooldown and then spent most of the rest of the afternoon poking and prodding the area of course. I even got out the icepack. Suddenly the right calf is only the second most pressing health concern, fantastic. Chilly morning with a brisk wind.

No comments: