7/29/11

Thu 7/28 - PM 60 minutes incl. 5k road race

Charity-centered athletic tourism at its finest. When I signed up for this event, which takes place on an island in Boston Harbor that's otherwise closed to the public and requires a ferry trip to get there, it wasn't a big deal. That was before the strained plantar which changed my whole perspective and made it a nerve-wracking experience. Running fast a problem and running fast in flats a bigger problem, not that it stopped me from doing both of those things. Okay during the warmup, felt some dangerous twinges during the race itself which definitely had me treading on eggshells. I had hoped to be able to sandbag the race itself but no such luck, it takes only one and that's what it ended up as. Kept up until about halfway, lost contact and then gave up in earnest soon after two miles. First two miles went by about 5:10 each which was a surprise, third mile closer to 5:45. No one in sight behind me. Foolishly I thought the course would be dead flat, it actually had some roll to it. Nothing extreme but enough that it affected the foot on downhills. Apart from all the foot drama, feeling flat and tired from the jump, felt like no nap in the afternoon really had an effect. Short slow cooldown, lots of compressions and direct pressure on the foot. Stiffened up some of course but not as bad as I thought it might. Pleasant evening, breeze off the water of course but it kept things cool. Overall an interesting event, hopefully I can do it next year under healthier circumstances.

No comments: