9/3/10

Thu 9/2 - PM 60 minutes incl. 5k road race

Decidedly lackluster effort at Magnolia, 16:34 with mile splits of 5:07, 5:17, and 5:35 on the rolling course. Fried in more than one sense, I could feel this probably wouldn't be anything to write home about from the word go. Terrible conditions with sky high humidity and temps in the low 90s even right next to the ocean. Took 90 minutes to get there, feeling flat and tired from the moment I arrived. Caffeine made no difference. Still thought I might be able to vulture a win as the field wasn't that competitive, with the notable exception of the winner who utterly owned the race. I had no chance needless to say, didn't know it the first mile and so gave chase until I couldn't which was soon after the mile mark. Spent the rest of the race in get it over with mode, then looking for a hose with which to drench myself as I was completely overheated. Left hip held up well to the stress of the rolling terrain, some stiffness but no limping or staggering on the cooldown which is the real test. However it did stiffen up on the ride home, typical iliopsoas behavior I suppose. In hindsight, stacking this race on top of the 20k on Sunday was asking a bit too much. Doing them both in the steam bath weather is asking for trouble.

No comments: