6/8/08

Sat 6/7 - PM 50 minutes incl. 3k in 8:49.5

Race went better than expected. Hot and quite humid, made more notable by the fact that it's been nothing like it so far this year. Feeling sluggish from not sleeping enough lately as evidenced by bailing out of the last two workouts. Had the race been in the morning I would have been dead meat even though it was cooler then. As it was, no need to spend lots of time warming up. Felt flat enough warming up that I was thinking about running 71-2 pace and seeing if that was sustainable, but the first lap went in 69 and didn't feel unduly hard. The next four laps all went in 70-71 for a 2k split of 5:52. The pace felt more relaxed than expected. Next lap was closer to 73 as I sagged along with everyone around me. Still concerned about stalling or blowing up so I held off on making a move until 300 to go. Last lap somewhere around 69, not much of a kick but again better than what I was expecting. Some soreness in left calf and tib on the cooldown. After this I think the 5k next week could go better than originally planned. Certainly the May road race results didn't point to running under 8:50 in this weather.

No comments: