7/28/14

Sun 7/27 - AM 1:55

Northfield. Following yet another post-midnight bedtime (for no good reason of course), awoke to overcast skies which proceeded to let loose just before I hit the road from the boat ramp. Decided ahead of time to mix things up a bit and go up and over Birch Point, down the power lines and back via School Street before heading on to the TV tower. This is a decent loop with a fair amount of climbing, although it doesn't compare to Burt Hill or Schofield Mountain. I'll take what I can get at this point, the calf wouldn't have been able to take thudding down either of those. The waves of heavy rain made for sloppy going but also kept the temperature down. Much appreciated as I started late enough that on a more typical late July day I would have been under substantial duress the last half of the run. As it was I was in duress enough from accumulating fatigue and an ever-stiffening right leg. Good and pooped by the time I reached the beginning of Bolton Road for the final ascent which took just over 15 minutes. Not a land speed record by any means but I made it, and the effort felt consistent throughout.

No comments: