9/4/12

Mon 9/3 - AM 70 minutes incl. Mt. Greylock road race










Mediocre effort, but saw it through to the end at least. I had hoped to feel more spry for this thing but in hindsight was kidding myself, flat and lethargic instead. Motivation even to warm up quite low. As such toed the line less than fully ready to go, which is not the way to approach this particular event with the steep sections in the first 3 miles. Felt plodding and slow from the get-go yet ran in the lead from gun to wire which says more about the strength of field than it does my fitness. Rather than force things when the course flattened out somewhat I made the conscious choice to stay under control. I avoided burying myself but didn't set any speed records by doing this. On the plus side, fatigue not nearly as overwhelming at the end as it was a week ago. Even better, the day was a very nice one with mostly clear skies and warm temps. Total contrast from last year's disgusting humidity and gloomy overcast. Enough of a breeze for various hang glider and parasailing maniacs to use the summit as a takeoff point but the wind wasn't strong enough to be more than a mild nuisance while running. Spent a good while at the summit w/o doing any cooldown to speak of, then rode the bike down. Today's race makes six of the last nine years that I've done it. Two times under 54:00 ('04 and '10), last year's dog close to 59, with the other three between 57 and 58 minutes. I was actually expecting a slower time at the top this year given the less than stellar effort.

No comments: