8/1/12

Tue 7/31 - PM 65 minutes incl. 10 mile road race

Hard earned small potatoes. Reasonably strong performance, raced well in terms of passing people in the second half, but the whole thing was unsatisfying as I was unable to chase down a competitor in the old fart division who (as usual) had gone out way way too fast. At least 150m down to him at the 8 mile mark, told myself I wouldn't give up on it, but by mile 9 it was still around 100m and I just about had given up. Still at least 60m with 800 to go, got down to 2-3 seconds or so near the bitter end. Early on I was convinced I had gone out too hard myself the first 2 miles, in an effort to get some wind protection. Slower splits on the 4th (uphill) and 5th mile did nothing to dispel the notion. Felt like I was right at the edge of blowing up during mile 6, but the ship righted itself in the seventh mile and I proceeded to pass a couple guys, one who had passed me just after 4 and the other one of the wind blockers who I let go at the 2 mile mark. Last 2 miles a chore running into the wind with a nice gradual uphill thrown in as well.

Splits:
5:26
5:22 (downhill)
5:45
5:29
5:44 (up)
5:48 (dragging ass)
5:36
5:31(surprising, as there was a hill in this one)
5:39 (headwind and gradual up, ugh)
5:26 (desperate failed chase)

Warmup and cooldown both largely absent, not particularly motivated to do either. The longer races I'm finding myself inclined to use the early stages of the race as an extension of the warmup. I found myself feeling more recovered than expected within five minutes of finishing which makes me wonder what was left out on the course. However, I certainly didn't go out too slow. That middle portion, which felt under control if only barely, seems to have been the slack part. Weather about as favorable as one could hope for, humid but quite cool for this time of year.

No comments: