7/20/12

Thu 7/19 - PM 45 minutes incl. 5k road race

Flatter than flat 5k along the beachfront boulevard in S. Boston. Relatively low expectations as I was feeling predictably tired at the end of the work day. Hoped to take a brief nap but it wasn't happening after the ride over from work took longer than expected and parking snafus at the good old Bayside Expo Center. Feeling somewhat flat during the warmup as well. Temperature quite comfortable although there was more humidity than earlier in the day, and a breeze that was in our faces the first half of the out and back course. Hit the first mile in 5:06 which seemed a little fast given the effort level and the wind. By this point already being more or less forced to take the lead when I would have rather followed someone for protection from the wind. At the turnaround one of the early leaders made a tremendous move, got about 15m ahead of me and proceeded to stall out. Two miles went in 10:08 which I found totally unbelievable given the fact that I felt like I was still holding a little something back. Thought I might have the thing in the bag until the eventual winner pulled alongside and gradually pulled away. Thought I had a shot at reeling him back in but sometime around 400m to go realized it wouldn't be happening. Soon after hit the 3 mile mark in a sparkling 15:38. Given the tailwind and effort to maintain contact, there is no fucking way I slowed down that drastically. Far more likely the second mile was short. Maybe the first mile too. Whatever the case, water found its own level in the end. Cooldown was almost non-existent as the post-race feed beckoned.

No comments: