9/14/11

Tue 9/14 - PM 60 minutes incl. 9x800, 1000

Longfellow loop. Surprisingly tired upon getting home from work, took a 20 minute catnap that I'm fairly certain plunged into REM sleep. Workout ended up being a series of compromises, starting with the length of reps. I was originally planning on 1km repeats but realized that doing 800 instead would allow me to run the loop w/o turning around and going back and forth. The plan was to run the loop 3 times, 4 reps per loop. Soreness in left high hammie had me scale that back to 10 reps. Had it not been twinging I'm fairly certain I could have done the originally planned 12 but I was sensing by the end that more damage was being done, and the aggravation of the area was increasing exponentially as the # of reps piled up. 200 jog between each rep, which took 56-60 seconds with the notable exception of the last one which was a whopping 67 sec. Numbers:

2:37
2:40
2:41
2:43
2:37
2:39
2:43
2:42
2:38
3:20 - turned around for the last one and ran the first kilo back to the start.

Blasted the first 200 of the first rep way too fast, like under 39, which set a rhythm that was hard to shake. Eventually got to a point where I was more relaxed and not front-loading the effort on later reps, trying to finish strong instead. The numbers would indicate that not all 800m segments of this course are created equal, which doesn't surprise me. The first 800m of the loop being dead flat and almost totally straight makes it go by a few clicks quicker. Humidity increased as the evening approached, stealthily but it was unmistakable once I got going. Shed the shirt after the first loop, which is rare for me. As a result the handful of locals out for an evening stroll or bike ride got a show I'm sure they weren't too thrilled about. Finished completely drenched in sweat.

No comments: