2/16/11

Tue 2/15 - PM 70 minutes incl. 5 mile cutdown repeats

The imperial equivalent of the 2400-2000-1600-1200-800 workout I did back in December. Approached this with some trepidation after feeling less than "cured" of muscle tightness following yesterday's massage. Very concerned about whether the adductor would hold up to a long session of running in circles, and how the potential aftermath. Altered the workout specs to a cutdown all at threshold pace, no leg prep. I had been mulling over a mixed session but that would have been forcing the issue. Despite glutes/low back feeling tight all day at work, felt reasonably good after the warmup though still not sure if I could handle 40 laps worth of faster running. After the first two longest reps I knew I'd be able to finish at which point it became a question of fitness rather than simply survival. Pace quite modest, had to check the ego at the door. At least I could say that it felt under control throughout, other than the final rep never felt like I was pushing past the point of uncomfortably sustainable. Splits as follows:


12 laps - 8:17 (2:49, 2:45, 2:43)
10 laps - 6:49 (mile in 5:29)
mile - 5:25
1320 - 4:01
880 - 2:37

first two reps negative split, even after that. Hoping for more of a negative split on the mile and 1320 but that would have required dipping deeper into the well than I would have liked. Given the slightly longer imperial track, these numbers compare more favorably than I would have expected to the time I did this workout just before Christmas. Recoveries were 30 seconds longer after each rep this time though. Finished with adductor feeling fatigued, but it's been worse quite recently. Baleful wind chill kept me indoors for the entire workout.

No comments: