1/9/11

Sat 1/8 - AM 70 minutes incl. 4.8 mile road race

One of the more shameless instances of sandbagging, idea that was hatched earlier in the week despite the strained hammie that's been a problem since the track meet last Sunday. Long drive down, but an interesting place to visit that I never, ever would have thought to visit. Despite spending a good deal of time last night working on the left leg, to the point that I got to bed later than I should, it of course stiffened up overnight and was locked up. Warmup a chore, although the drills helped like last night. Once the gun went off, spent all but the first 150m in second place. Soon enough maintaining this spot with a minimum of exertion or incurring further damage to the hammie became the overriding goal. The guy behind me stayed close enough for the first half of the race that I felt compelled to keep the foot on the gas longer than I would have liked. Overdid it a bit as I realized at 4 miles that the gap was a lot more than I thought. Semi-jogged it in from there, getting slower as the finish line approached. Cooldown was broken up into chunks in order to make sure not to miss the awards. Mile splits of 5:24 for the first two, then slowed from there to 5:39.62 for each of the next two miles after that. The pace felt harder than it actually was but given the leg and how tired I was going in, it was something I fully expected.

No comments: