10/8/10

Thu 10/7 - AM 24k threshold run

disappointing and frustrating effort, planned on going 5-7 miles further but the wheels fell off. I felt apprehensive going into the last one of these that I did on 9/12, even more so today with the left achilles and right plantar now plaguing me as well. Items keep getting added to that list. Achilles felt stiff and crappy during the drills which served as the warmup, but didn't notice it at all during the run itself. Plantar felt ok while running but stiffened up a lot over the rest of the day afterward. The real problem was the left hip/thigh/hamstring, the tightness and soreness steadily built over the course of the run until I simply couldn't maintain anything resembling the desired pace. Simply put, unless things improve between now and the day of the race I won't be able to make it the entire distance at PMP. Enormously frustrating. I did myself no favors by doing the first lap much much too fast, something I chalk up to pent-up anxiety over the status of the left leg. It was like an out of body experience, blasted the first 400 in 80 seconds and made a conscious effort to slow down but it took 2+ miles to get into the right rhythm after that. This probably hastened the collapse by a mile or two, but it was coming regardless. Also more tired than I would have liked, esp. compared to last time when I simply hit the numbers relentlessly without deviation for almost two hours. I do feel that the overall fatigue can also be ascribed somewhat to the physical and mental grind of trying to run on a tight pinched high hamstring and hip.

Splits:
5:35/5:46/2:47
5:46/5:53/2:49
5:49/5:53/2:49
5:48/5:54/2:51
5:49/5:54/2:50
5:52/6:00/2:57

I actually gave some thought to doing another lap at whatever death march pace I could maintain just to experience a taste of what could very well happen in the race, but then realized it would be stupid to do further damage and leave myself hobbled even worse. Conditions cool, overcast and breezy, still humid but not as bad as the past three days.

No comments: