6/16/08

SUn 6/15 - PM 60 minutes incl. 5k in 15:21

Some difficulty falling asleep due to continued toothache woes, once I finally nodded off so exhausted I slept in until almost noontime. After lunch and errands, woke up from a late afternoon nap about 90 minutes before race time. Still shaking out the cobwebs on the warmup, legs felt ok but feeling flat and tired, not surprisingly. Hoping for a tactical race with a pace I could follow, thankfully this is what happened as the early leaders consistently hit 74-5 second laps. Biding my time in second or third place until 1500 to go, at which point made a move to the front that I hoped would be decisive but it wasn't despite picking up the pace. In hindsight it's hard to say if I should have gone earlier or later, I feel like with better energy levels it would have been a moot point anyway as I could have run closer to 15:10 than 15:20. Kilo splits as follows:

3:06
3:06
3:06
3:02
3:01

Definitely a negative split effort and a tactical race, as such it would have been nice to win the thing but with screwed up sleep patterns this week it was a relief to make it through in one piece. Finished with just a tinge of the feeling that I hadn't been able to fully utilize my fitness due to the less than optimal energy levels going in, despite feeling smooth and relaxed. Humid, but overcast and cool with a modest breeze which made the decision easier to stay tucked in for over half the race. A race effort with all the pieces in place continues to be elusive, which is no surprise. Feeling smooth, relaxed and tired also nothing new, although the cause of the fatigue is different this time. So so sick of the tooth drama.

No comments: