11/11/07

Sat 11/10 - PM 90 minutes incl. repeats at Franklin Park

First mile of the FP course in 4:58, 3.5R, then 4x3 minutes (2R) 4x2 minutes (1.5R), 4x1 minute (1R). I spent 6+ hours at the park today, most of it watching the races, with the workout squeezed in between. Cold with a bitter NNE wind, which made things much more uncomfortable than I would have predicted or preferred. Thankfully the workout itself coincided with the warmest part of the day. Despite some concern that I'd be low on energy after the morning spent standing around freezing, I was able to complete the long workout. The mile was supposed to be race pace, I'm assuming 10k race pace, in which case it certainly wasn't. Still a worthwhile exercise as I now know what too fast feels like for next Sunday. As expected, the 3 minute reps were a real slog after the fast mile, but as the reps got shorter and farther removed from the start of the session I was moving relatively better. Cooldown was very slow as I was wiped out. After Tuesday's underwhelming workout I had doubts about my fitness, but resting better seems to have helped in the interim. I like doing workouts like this in the park and it's a shame we don't do them more often.

No comments: