9/29/07

Sat 9/29 - double incl. 5 mile tempo in 27:00 plus 21 minutes in Walden

AM - 60 minutes or so incl. just under 5 miles in 27:00 on the point-to-point Linclon tempo loop that was supposed to be a full 8 miles at 5:30 pace. A frustratingly flat effort, working too hard for this pace and I knew after 3.5 that I wouldn't be making it the planned 8 which would include the rest of the "classic" tempo. Rather than feeling like half-marathon pace, it felt like an effort I couldn't maintain for 10 miles if I had to, which is not indicative of my fitness right now. Mile splits of 5:34 and 5:24, then a matter of conjecture from 2 to 4. I kept track of the first (uphill) mile of the classic route that we reached at about 3.4 miles in. This mile was 5:24 which was faster than I would have expected or wanted. Sucked along by the rest of the group that picked it up to where we were going just a bit too fast for me after 2. This brought the flatness to the fore. Falling into the too late bedtime trap, esp. since Tuesday. In addition, after using the pond the last three days in an attempt reduce the amount of pounding on my legs, the hard effort today brought out every ding and dent sustained stumbling on the hill Tuesday. Particularly feeling the left hammie, where a phantom strain developed that I'm convinced has its roots in the worst stumble of them all the other night. Cooler drier air mass brought with it the usual NW wind, which was fairly strong at times. This didn't help either.

PM - 30 minutes very easy to and from pond plus 21 minutes in the pond. Left hammie definitely stuck, had to go easy on stretching it, did some work on the area after the run.

No comments: