7/26/14

Thu 7/24 - double, 60 minutes total incl. 5k road race

AM - 20 minutes very easy, Swellesley. T-storms passed through overnight and brought the humidity down somewhat. Creaky as usual from the outset.

PM - 40 minutes incl. 5k. The Harborthon once again. Feeling a bit more awake and alert than last year which isn't saying much. Realized on the starting line that this year's edition would be more competitive than the past few. Found myself in a dogfight with two others by the time the mile passed in 5:20. Found myself in the lead from just past the mile mark to the turnaround, at which point I thought I might be able to take the thing. This bit of wishful thinking persisted as we went through 2 miles in 10:35 even though I was no longer leading. Alas, I was popped by the eventual winner 2 minutes into the third mile (I checked my watch). Having thought the two of us had broken the third guy I relaxed a little bit only to find myself being stalked by the third guy who pegged me at 15 minutes (again checked the watch). It was abundantly clear I wasn't going to be able to stick with him either and I checked out for the rest of the way. Despite coasting in the last 500m or so I was feeling utterly spent in the aftermath. A bit depressing how enervating a 17 minute 5k felt. To be fair, hard to expect much different given how strung out I've felt lately and how little I've been sleeping. To wit, pulse was noticeably elevated for hours after the race. To add insult to injury the prize this year for a top 3 finish came nowhere near the level of prizes in past editions of this race, and the ferry ride back took at least twice as long as it should have. The summer weeknight races are a tough row to hoe it turns out. At least the scenery was nice.


No comments: