7/5/13

Thu 7/4 - double, 75 minutes total incl. 5m road race plus 20 minutes in Walden

AM - 55 minutes incl. road race in Harvard. My heart wasn't really in it and it showed, plainly and painfully. While it's never cool this time of year the conditions seemed particularly harsh for 8:30 in the morning this time. Mostly shady course thankfully but still awfully hot and of course atrocious humidity. The exhaustion I've felt the last couple of days after work more or less carried over to this morning as well. I made a conscious effort to hold back, in fact I was only running to win my age group nothing more. Gave up on that soon after 2 miles which left the much harder second half of the race to be spent in get it over with mode. That the last 3 miles took around 19 minutes tells the tale, I was thoroughly beaten down by the time the huge hill arrived. Of course, the ups and downs shredded the right calf which felt horrible afterward. The best part of the experience was waterboarding myself with a garden hose just after finishing.

PM - 20 minutes very easy plus 20 minutes in Walden. Waited as long as possible after trying to lay low and nap the bulk of the afternoon. Too hot and sticky to sleep well of course. Calf didn't feel nearly as bad as I thought it would, the time spent rolling it on the lax ball and foam roller was worthwhile. The pond is already starting to feel decidedly lukewarm, though still refreshing compared to conditions on dry land.

No comments: