6/30/13

Sat 6/29 - double, 1:50 total incl. road race

AM - 70 minutes incl. 4 mile road race. Back to Northampton, race I thought would be gone but it continues under new management. Unlike last year, woke up early and drove out morning of which may not have been the best idea. Right hip/thigh gets nice and stiff with the long periods of sitting behind the wheel. However, no amount of driving can adequately explain how lackluster this effort was. Rolled through the mile in 5:30 or so, next two in 11:50, last mile right under 6 minutes. Slowed down near the end as there was no need to continue running hard as I was out of sight of the next guy. In fact I spent all but the first 400m or so alone in third place, and the guy behind me took a wrong turn near the end and took a good chunk of the field with him. Came through the line telling myself the weather was worse this year than last year but looking back at my log entry from then it was probably just about as bad then. I don't remember feeling quite as overheated at the end last year though. In fact most of the factors that plagued me this year--atrocious humidity, lack of sleep, rolling course--were around again this time but of course the big difference from then to now is the ongoing woes with the right leg. Quite plain I'm closer to injured than healthy when it comes to actual performance vs. hobbyjogging. Cooldown was in two parts. Took a dunk in the swiftly moving and pleasantly cool river in the midst of the longer of them.

PM - 40 minutes, NMH ridge. Made it part of the way up and eventually found my way over to Louisiana Rd. before heading back down. The logging activity has completely thrown off my mental map of this ridge, such as it is. Hammie stiffened up during the afternoon but didn't feel as bad as I thought it would during the run. Disgusting humidity continued right through the day.

No comments: