5/17/13

Wed 5/15 - PM 65 minutes incl. 3x1600

Confidence deflator. Planning to do something close to 10k race pace in advance of this weekend, similar to last year when I did 4x1600 w/400 jog recovery on the Longfellow loop, but on the track this time. Went from 4x1600 to 3x1600 + 4x400, before ending up doing three miserable, overbaked mile reps with a 300 jog recovery. From the moment I hit the first 200 of the first rep in 43 I knew there'd be trouble. From there, busting my ass far too much for the pace I was running. Also feeling a lot more spent than I should have been for the length and pace of the session. The dogshit weather didn't help one bit, gusty wind smacking me in the face on every backstretch and of course, it got stronger the second half of the workout. Ordinarily this is at least in part perception over reality but in this case it actually did pick up strength and became unbelievably obnoxious. Accompanied by spitting rain, overcast skies and unseasonably cool temps, the conditions were confounding as they've been most of the spring. I'm thoroughly sick of this garbage and the frustration I was feeling over how shitty the workout went ended up being transferred into frustration over the conditions. Right leg continues to be a mess, calf feels like it's right back to where it was Monday before the massage. Overall feels like I'm running on 1 3/4 legs instead of 2, thanks to the ongoing neverending knots in hammie and calf. Not sure what's affecting me more, the muscular issues or general fatigue thanks to the normalization of an 11 PM (or later) bedtime. Two days to impose some sort of discipline vis a vis sleepy hygiene before another jam-packed weekend.

No comments: