5/12/13

Sat 5/11 - PM 45 minutes incl. track 3k

The mediocre results continue, although it would be charitable to describe this dud of an effort as mediocre. Unable to get that upset about it quite frankly, knew going in that I had created conditions ripe for a turd race simply by the hideously bad sleep hygiene all week, which in turn builds on previous weeks/months of similarly bad sleeping habits. This is all without even considering the compromised right leg of course. On top of all that, poor day planning had me arriving at the meet too late to get in anything resembling a decent warmup. With gloomy overcast, cloying humidity and gusty breezes sweeping across the track I could feel the apathy growing. The seed time of 72 pace was a pipe dream, decided I'd try to hit 73s instead. That lasted two laps tops before turning into 75 then quickly into 76 the rest of the way. Definitely had the familiar feeling of not being able to remotely access whatever fitness might be present at the moment, almost an out of body experience in that regard. Right calf wasn't helping, as it felt stiff fromt the jump and I managed to semi-strain it off the starting line such that I was more concerned about avoiding a full-on spasm the first 300m rather than establishing position. Tried hiding behind people as much as possible, found myself passed before 2k by someone running in training shoes that I was able to glom onto and even outkick with a despicable move the final straightaway. After hitting the km in 3:06 any hope of running 9:10 went out the window, in the end unable to break 3:20 after a pair of 3:08 kms to close. On the plus side, there's plenty of room for improvement, if only I can take better care of myself in the weeks to come. If only.

No comments: