4/3/13

Tue 4/2 - PM 60 minutes incl. 6x1000, 6x200

Very windy day, and that's an understatement. The wind came blasting in behind the cold front that passed through yesterday/early this morning. Around 20 mph all day with gusts stronger than that. Not especially warm temps either, with the wind chill it felt more like late February than early April. Did the workout in tights and double layered up top, a first for this time of year as far as I can remember. I had originally planned on doing a different track session with most of it being repeat 400s but with the wind on top of feeling flat and having the tight right calf, that idea went by the boards. Decided to reorient the focus towards LT work and do kms and 200s in order to do the majority of the hard yards with the wind at my back. Hoping the 200s would be like glorified strides. Still a chore of course, got crushed on every backstraight during the 1000s. After the first rep I wasn't bothering to check the watch for splits, trying to run on feel and it felt pretty haggard by the last one. Calf stiffening up in a knot, with hamstring twinging as well.

3:32.2/58
3:30.9/57
3:31.0/61.5
3:31.1/59.8
3:30.7/61.2
3:29.0

Who knows that the splits would have been in more humane conditions but at least a few seconds faster I'd hope. After a 6 minute break, most of which spent doing compressions on the hamstring which was very necessary, finished with 200s. Like the kms, recovery was a 200 jog in around a minute. The first, second, fourth and fifth all went in around 36.7-36.9. For whatever reason the third and sixth were 37.5 apiece. No headwind to blame for the overall pedestrian pace, the turnover simply isn't there. Not helped by ongoing issues with the right leg, can't exert the kind of force I can with the left. Didn't occur to me until writing this up that I could have intermingled the 1000s and 200s like I did in the fall. For whatever reason I like the structure of that session more than this.

No comments: