4/19/12

Wed 4/18 - PM 1:45

In the mountains of North Cheyenne Cañon in Colorado Springs. Got to bed quite early last night, woken up a few hours later by coyotes chatting with each other, then noticed that my throat felt really inflamed, like I might be getting strep or at least a head cold. Ugh. Took it easy in the morning and made my way south to the springs eventually. Ran most of the course for Saturday's race as a preview and I'm glad I did because "rugged" only begins to describe it. Steep climbs and descents, washboard erosion in places from heavy mountain bike use (extremely annoying), and many many many switchbacks, most of them in loose gravel. Some spectacular scenery as well. I almost didn't bother bringing the camera but I'm glad I did.

view of mountains to the south

Garden of the Gods off in the distance

this is part of the course, yippee




tunnel on Gold Camp road

 aptly named

view from High Drive looking east

 Helen Hunt falls seen from High Drive

Helen Hunt Falls up close

The downhills on loose footing didn't treat the left adductor particularly well, which has been feeling stiff since last Friday's track workout. On the plus side, it feels like I'm better acclimated to the altitude after two full days here.

No comments: