12/5/11

Sun 12/4 - PM 60 minutes incl. 5k road race

The race went well enough, better than I thought it would, the awards ceremony was another matter. Feeling flat and justifiably concerned about how good an idea it was to have entered this thing in the first place. Not sure how the right leg would hold up to any kind of fast running. Ran the course as a warmup at a fairly quick tempo, feeling lethargic the whole way. All signs pointing to a lackluster performance. Dragged out from the gun, controlled but only barely. Thought at various times in the first half of the race that I would be dropped eventually, esp. as the early leader seemed to make some surges. However, I'm guessing he didn't preview the rolling course beforehand because the second of two gradual climbs in the second mile softened him up sufficiently that I took the lead without trying or wanting to. Decided to maintain the effort level until near the end so as not to blow up, and put my hopes into holding him off with a final sprint. Took a peek with about 300m left and to my surprise I was in the clear. With no small sense of relief, took the foot off the gas pedal and slowpoked it in. Cooldown was a very slow 20 minutes or so around the former hospital grounds.

No comments: