9/2/11

9/1 - PM 55 minutes incl. 5k road race

Once more to Magnolia, scenic area to visit but getting there was awful. 90 minutes of gridlock, arrived 20 minutes before the gun went off. Warmup was a 5 minute jog and some drills as a result. Didn't feel that bad on the line but the underlying exhaustion presented itself by 1200m or so. Fairly obvious I wouldn't be winning the thing outright even before that. The last two miles spent in semi-cruise mode, although I was working harder than I would have liked for the pace I was going. Mile splits of 5:01 for the downhill first mile, 5:20 for the rolling second mile, 5:25 for the net uphill third mile. Calves started tightening up almost immediately after finishing, definitely a reflection of the truncated warmup. Conditions close to perfect, cool and dry. Logistics may make this race a no-go for me from here on out, a shame because it looks like I could win a free pair of shoes every year for at least the next decade.

No comments: