9/13/10

Sun 9/12 - AM 32k threshold run

The long-awaited (and feared) 20 miler on the Longfellow loop. Plenty to worry about going in, what with the left adductor that's been tight and/or stuck for the past 6 weeks, and the hip flexor that I strained on Wednesday. After that little accident I was ambivalent about even doing this even though it's been in the works for a while. Gave it a go anyway. Splits as follows:

5:54 5:57 2:50
5:50 5:54 2:52
5:54 5:54 2:53
5:52 5:57 2:51
5:52 5:53 2:52
5:51 5:54 2:51
5:52 5:56 2:55 (stopped to pick up gel that had fallen)
5:51 5:54 2:51
tacked on an extra 400m in 89 seconds to make up for the 40m shortfall on each lap.

Overall very consistent, good to know I can rattle off an effort like this even with the various muscle strains. Of course the flat nature of the loop made it easier to hold the pace. Got into a groove within the first few miles and made it a point not to deviate from that, for fear of cratering later on. I may have been capable of a slightly faster pace, or more of a negative split, but the goal was to finish the entire thing first and foremost. The difference between the 15 miler I did last month and this time was noticeable, mainly in how much more sore I felt after it was done. Tightness and fatigue spread into upper body (shoulders and back), legs wobbly. Not totally fried from an exertion standpoint, but getting close to the end of my rope the last two loops. Psychologically I feel like this has helped with the patience needed to race a marathon. Good practice taking fluids and gels as well. Conditions were generally quite favorable, cloud cover returned overnight which kept the temperature down. Somewhat humid but cool enough that it didn't matter. Warmup was riding my bike up Waltham Street to the start of the loop and some half-assed drills, cooldown was riding my bike back down the road.

No comments: