4/6/09

Sun 4/5 - PM 90 minutes incl. 10k in 33:50

One and only hard effort of the week, approached with a no small amount of misgiving and apprehension due to the ongoing adductor issues. As it was pointed out to me by the post-race massage therapist, the sartorius is the most affected which makes perfect sense. Felt it the entire day, worst after the race on the very easy cooldown but still able to make a go of it. Course was both scenic and obnoxious, as we turned into a gale-force wind around 1.5 miles and spent the next two miles getting blasted by it. I spent part of this time tucked in behind someone else which felt like a jog. Upon turning out of the wind the course rolled relentlessly uphill for another mile after that. Splits reflect this:

5:13
5:28
5:37
5:42
5:22
5:17

I knew going in I would be running for second place, and given the state of my right thigh I was looking not to overextend myself in doing so. Definitely a tactical effort, played keep away the second half of the race. This required more effort than I would have liked but kept third at bay nonetheless. Sunny and warmer today but the aforementioned onshore wind dominated everything.

No comments: