9/22/08

Sun 9/21 - AM 90 minutes incl. 10k road race in 33:19

One race too many for this month, but I couldn't resist another chance to run in Gloucester. Warmup was a little shorter than I would have liked, first mile felt great and well within myself but by about 2.5 I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew. Dropped from the lead pack soon after and spent the rest of the way in no-man's land. Course was reasonable, no hills to speak of just a lot of small rollers. The last two miles seemed larger than they actually were. Not sure about the accuracy of the 3 and 4 mile splits:

5:10
5:18
5:08 (short)
5:32 (long)
5:24
5:34

Those last two miles were accurate IMO and they show that I was in get-it-over-with mode. Cool morning, but sunny and warming up as the morning went along, with a sea breeze but no big deal. Cooldown was as long as the warmup was short, 40+ minutes into Rockport. Mildly disappointing result but again, it was one race too many for the month. The swag and splashing around in the waves on Good Harbor beach afterwards made up for it anyway.

No comments: