5/19/08

Sun 5/18 - AM 75 minutes incl. 5k road race

15:53 for the SCT 5k in Stow on this course, an effort that felt smooth and relaxed but a bit off in terms of energy level and underlying fatigue. Mile splits of 5:01, 5:00, and (ahem) 5:18 bear this out. Thankfully there was no competition unlike last year when my cookies were stolen at this same race, so the 3rd mile slowdown didn't affect my standing in the race. Effort wise it didn't feel like I was slowing on the last mile, although a combination of a net uphill and turning back into the wind made it a little tougher. I wouldn't call this a hilly course at all however. As in the past, the warmup consisted of a 5k bike ride over to the start in addition to a 20 minute jog. Legs felt more rubbery than I had expected after biking over, overall legs felt a bit sluggish. I'll chalk it up to the past few days of somewhat higher volume. Cooldown was 30 minutes on Marble Hill. Sunny morning, a bit breezy but not too bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
Good job on Sunday. It would have been nice to catch up but I understand a warm down and collecting a check come first.

Mark Mayall said...

I was literally finishing off the cooldown while they started the awards ceremony, it went off a little sooner than I expected. Went to get my bike and put on some clothes after that and when I came back around I couldn't find you. Forgot to ask--boy or girl?

Anonymous said...

Baby Girl. Jordan Rose. She enjoyed watching your win. She was wearing her AB Colonial bib at breakfast (yes they have Colonial Bibs). We cruised around at 8:15 pace. Very nice course at that speed.