2/13/08

Tue 2/12 - PM RLTAC 60 minutes incl. 4(600,200)

The awkward clunky feeling in my legs from yesterday's run was back and if anything they felt worse. In addition to the ongoing right calf issues both tib anterior muscles felt weak and as if they had recently been overwhelmed somehow. Felt like I was stumbling around on stumps during the warmup. An aftereffect of racing after taking 10 days away from the track I suppose. Combined with a tired, vaguely febrile feeling by late afternoon, I had reservations about even doing a workout. Drills, while helpful in loosening things up somewhat, felt terrifically awkward and I had to tread lightly, go slowly. Workout was 4-5 sets of 600, 100 jog, 200 with 2.5R between sets. Looking to run the 600s in 1:47-8, 200s 33-4, splits as follows:

1:47.5/33.1
1:46.5/33.8
1:47.7/33.2
1:48.5/32.7

the 100 jog took around 36 seconds each time, i.e. very slow. Awkward feeling continued throughout, although it diminished some as the workout progressed. Running on my heels much more than I would like which made it difficult if not impossible to feel smooth. The same effort level with "normal" legs would have resulted in faster splits all around for sure. As it was, I got through four sets and considered myself ahead of the game in that I hadn't re-aggravated the calf injury. Completely out of gas for the cooldown, barely able to move and shuffled through 20 minutes that couldn't have been much more than 2 miles.

No comments: