10/21/07

Sat 10/20 - double incl. Lincoln tempo in 24:34

AM - "classic" tempo w/splits of 5:15, 5:27, 5:27, 3:13 and 5:12 (2:44, 2:38). A flat and desultory effort. Woke up tired from a week of not sleeping enough with various sorenesses up and down my left leg. I figured it would be best to run a similar pace to last time we did this course when it was very warm and humid. Not as warm this morning as four weeks ago but the humidity was atrocious. Plans of a relatively relaxed start went out the window as we hit the mailbox in 2:33, way way too fast. The subgroup I ended up with backed off on the hills after that, feeling relaxed but tired. I'd like to think I had the good sense not to push it and respond to various stupid moves that were made, but underlying fatigue removed any choice I had in the matter. 15 second rule went out the window for the last mile, just playing out the string. Better yet, stomach issues became an increasingly pressing problem to the point where the last half mile I was fully clenched and worried more about where I could relieve myself in private after the finish than hitting any kind of pace. Not sure what it was I ate that brought this nonsense about, but it persisted most of the rest of the day.

PM - 40 minutes easy in Area 51. A shakeout before stretching, I had debated the wisdom of a second run after feeling so flat this morning, but after sleeping away most of the afternoon I felt up for it. In hindsight it was worthwhile, loosened up some tight spots on the left leg and got in a good stretch afterwards.

No comments: