9/9/07

Sun 9/9 - double, approx. 90 minutes total incl. Maynard road race

PM - Maynard road race in 18:01. Mile splits of 5:05, 4:50, and 5:01. Ran the same course in 18:21 in '04 and 18:40 last year. I had hoped to skate through this with a minimum of effort but it wasn't to be when Beauchesne showed up. My heart sank, decided to let him take the pace from the gun while his watch made three separate types of beeping noises. As I was feeling a bit tired from yesterday I figured he'd pull away eventually. However it soon became apparent any kind of hill was hurting him far more than me, plus he was constantly checking his watch, and without much effort I pulled away on the only steep hill of any consequence, even that was a short one. From there it was a series of blind corner surges interspersed with slower breaks until near the end when I knew it was in the bag and could relax. Much faster splits than I had expected. Much cooler day than yesterday with a breeze. I have my doubts about the accuracy of the second mile marker, while the course as a whole is slightly longer than the advertised 3.5 miles--more like 3.6. As can be seen here

later PM - 30 mintues very easy, Lincoln woods. Calf stiffened up some over the course of the afternoon. Continued humid but still cool, which kept me from going in the pond even though I should have.

2 comments:

calliman said...

I don't know how I stumbled upon this, but I did.

Did you pick up any cast $ from Monster?

I am slowly getting into some semblance of shape - running about 25 miles a week over 4 days. Kids make it tough. I'm trying to kick it up to 5/6 days a week.

I might try to officiate BSC meets over the winter. I miss the teaching thing a little, but I can pay bills and stuff. Yestrday afternoon, I felt like I should be doing something - then I realized - I haven't watched a football game without thinking that I should be correcting papers!
Take Care

Bill Callahan

Mark Mayall said...

My readership grows and grows...

Monster offered no prize money for this race, strictly a local yokel affair, which is why it was surprising Beauchesne showed up. In my case, I do mean local--it's the only road race where I can leave the car in the driveway and walk from my home to the start. Something about that is irrationally appealing.

They did offer a laptop computer as the big prize for the raffle. No word on whether the hard drive had monster.com users' personal info on it.

Read your post on the "cesspool" (Sev's term, not mine) about leaving teaching, well put. Paying bills is not something to be taken lightly. Not having to correct papers freed up so much leisure time for me I didn't know what to do with myself the year after I left the game. Interacting with the students--even the difficult ones--never bothered me, that was the gratifying part of the job. The system's insatiable need for numbers to peg to a kid's progress OTOH was always frustrating.