9/17/07

Sun 9/16 - AM 90 minutes incl. Josh Billings 6m in 32:45

Mile splits of 5:23, 5:26, 5:23, 5:47, 5:21, and 5:25. Mildly disappointing, I was fairly certain I would be around or under 32 minutes this time after last week's hometown throwdown. Conditions were near perfect and my legs felt good. However, the usual problems arose with getting a decent night's rest, and I felt flat and tired from the moment I got out of bed. Mile markers appeared to be accurately placed this time. Took splits on my watch but didn't look as I wanted to try to run on feel instead of possibly getting discouraged by what the numbers were. As such, I ran slower at the outset than in previous efforts and except for the horrendous uphill fourth mile, maintained a more even, albeit slower, pace. The even pacing I like, the slow part not so much. Aforementioned fourth mile buried me, dragged on forever and didn't recover nearly as quickly as I had hoped when the grade leveled off. This doesn't augur well for the half-marathon in three weeks that also features hills late and is more than twice is long to boot. Ran the entire race alone, started well behind the two leaders and well ahead of whoever was in fourth. Right knee alarmingly tight on the cooldown, worked on the quad afterwards and that seemed to make it better.

Josh Billings run leg

No comments: