8/25/16

Thu 8/18 - 65 minutes incl. 10k road race

Having entered this event last year but not able to run after breaking my toe like an idiot two days before the race, this represented some form of redemption I suppose. Failed to recognize just how awful the trip there would be, 2+ hours of mostly bumper to bumper homebound commuting gridlock. All this between 3 and 5 PM, one can only imagine what the highway is like from 5-7. Arrived with about 45 minutes before the gun went off feeling quite frazzled and crispy. Warmup was fairly disinterested and inadequate as a result. While warm, the conditions were nothing like Saturday in Shelburne Falls thankfully. Combined with a flat course I figured the experience would be more palatable. As it turned out, stalled out a bit in the second half of the race which was about 20 seconds slower than the first half. At no point was I making anything resembling a stiff pace, but in light of the circumstances I'll take it. A shame this race is such a hellish drive on a weeknight for where I'm coming from.

No comments: