8/23/16

Sat 8/13 - double, 1:40 total incl. 10k road race

AM - Bridge of Flowers. Combination of horrendous humidity and being completely strung out from lack of sleep made for a fairly terrible experience. Felt the oppressive weight of the conditions the moment I arrived, and tried to hold something back early on as a result. Didn't matter one bit, as I cratered before cresting the big hill in the third mile (which took almost 8 minutes, probably a new personal worst). Spent the final five miles of the race getting passed by people one after the other and hoping it would end before heat exhaustion really took over. From the looks of the people who reached down deep and truly went for the gusto I think I made the right choice, there were some fairly frightening reactions to the conditions. Which to sum up, were 80 degrees at the start, 83 at the finish, and most importantly an 80 degree dewpoint. I might have done a little better with more sleep the past few days but sleep has been fitful at best, even more so than usual, and I found myself pre-waking the alarm by a good 45 minutes.

PM - 35 minutes very easy, rail trail from Hadley to Northampton with a bike ride back. No comfort to be had today outside of two places--a room with AC, and standing in the Connecticut river up to my neck at the end of the run. Doing the latter was by far the best ten minutes of the day by far. Legs stiff from the downhill pounding of the morning's effort.

No comments: