3/29/16

Sat 3/26 - PM 85 minutes incl. 2x8k threshold run

Longfellow Loop. Knew better than to try this in the morning when sleepyhead grogginess would have made it an exercise in frustration. Still, not exactly thrilled to put it off to the afternoon as it allowed the workout itself to crawl inside my head a bit. Got a bit of a late start too which wasn't helping. Still feeling Thursday's harder trail run in thin shoes in my legs while jogging up the road to the start of the loop, all in all not an auspicious start. However, started in on the first "repeat" of two and found the pace was quicker than expected feeling easier than expected. Had hopes that maybe my fitness had jumped a level or two since the last time I did this type of work, but on the second lap of the first 8k I could feel myself coming back to earth. Five minute break between reps spent mostly retying the shoelaces, then off to the second rep with the express goal of doing it faster than the first. Knew from the start that it would not be the easiest thing to do, something that was reinforced by the second mile going in a split slower than 6 minutes. Buckled down from there on to get it done by a few ticks. Splits:

5:49/5:58/2:51.4
5:55/5:56/2:48.0

5R

5:52/6:01/2:49.4
5:51/5:54/2:47.4

The cooldown was precisely the wobbly shuffle I figured it would be. I haven't been doing quite enough volume overall for a workout of this length but working on that.

No comments: