1/30/16

Tue 1/26 - AM 55 minutes incl. mile, 400, 1200

Failure of an attempt at a track workout, mainly because I picked the wrong session for reasons of ego-driven insecurity. Got home extremely late last night after going to a concert in town with the CH, which was worth the duress. Took the day off from work today as a result, figuring I could sleep in a bit and get a workout done in the late morning at Harvard. In hindsight the choice of workout, a cruise mile followed by 3(3x400) shooting for 71-2 the first and last sets and 76-7 the middle set, was asking far too much given the late night and having raced less than 48 hours ago. One would think I would recognize this by now but no. Shooting for something in the 5:20-25 range for the mile, rolled through the first lap in just under 40 then dialed it back to 41 for each of the next three laps. Second half went in just under 2:40 for a 5:22 overall time that felt reasonably good. I should have done two more of these with some short sprints afterward, instead I tried running 400s at mile pace. Got through one in just over 72, feeling like I was right at the edge, then ran a float recovery for two laps in just under 93 seconds before trying a second. Pulled the plug after 100m of this as I could feel the fatigue accumulating far too rapidly. At this point I had to choose between bagging it entirely and going out for a long cooldown or trying to change things midstream. Of course I went for the greedy option and decided I would do 3x1200 since running full mile reps seemed a big ask after that one hard 400. Thought I could run around 3:55 for a 1200 with relatively short recovery and make it work. Instead I got stuck at 40 second laps and ended up at 4:01 feeling like gravity was increasing with every lap. While not sick like last year at this time, I wonder if this current fog/malaise is any better as it feels roundly unsatisfying. Haven't felt like anything other than a tired ass piece of dog crap for months, mainly because I'm continually incapable of getting a decent night's rest. Same old garbage.

No comments: