12/22/15

Sat 12/19 - 70 minutes incl. track mile, 6k threshold run

Mediocre at best performance in the first track race in six months or so, first indoor race in 10 months. Last race of 2015. In fact it was the first time I've worn spikes since June so I suppose there's that if one's looking for excuses. I'm more inclined to focus on the continued inability to get a decent night's rest, with horrible sleep hygiene contributing greatly to this. In fact, while cooling down after it was all over I resolved to the worst of it. We'll see how well that sticks. Felt fairly flat warming up and found myself hoping the caffeine would kick in, which I feel it did eventually. Moving smoothly enough while warming up on the track. When the gun went off I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the first lap of 35-point felt. One more lap like that and from there on out it was 36.5 pace lock  for the rest of the way, although the transition felt more gradual than that. Simply put, there was nothing to draw from when it came time to respond to moves made by others around me. Had a wobble/stumble coming around the final curve which was sign enough that I was at my limit. Did a brief cooldown jog and lolligagged about for an hour or so before getting on to the back half of the planned daily double, a threshold run on the Harvard outdoor track. Decided on doing an in and out effort on the track. The wind that came up yesterday had progressed into a persistent hammering gale that was raking the Charles river floodplain and everywhere else in the area. Got blasted every time around on the backstretch. Short of doing something on a treadmill I don't see any way of avoiding the wind's effects although needless to say running on an exposed track isn't the greatest choice. Splits, affected a couple seconds a lap by the conditions I hope:

3:35.5
3:52.2
3:34.8
3:53.6
3:37.5
3:52.4

Followed that up with a 10 minute jog and called it a day.

No comments: