12/17/15

Sat 12/12 - double, 90 minutes total

AM - 45 minutes incl. 3 mile road race. In what was in hindsight quite the ill-advised move, I was unable to resist the lure of a race that passed right through the middle of town on roads that I cover frequently during daily training runs. Having been unable to do the September  race in town the past couple years thanks to coaching this was the big opportunity for hometown glory. Hoping that I could sandbag an easy win but all it takes is one to ruin that and of course that one random guy showed up. Gave up on keeping up with him after about 800m or so, then noticed the pace sagging up front soon after the mile and got it in my head that I could sneak back into it. Spent the middle to late portions of the race closing the gap, getting in position to make a move at the end, but when the finish line came in sight off Nason Road we made our respective moves and I knew instantly mine was lacking. In the end did a lot of unnecessary work to finish a close second which was pretty dumb in light of tomorrow's racing plans. Of course, since neither of us showed up in the official results I suppose it never happened anyway. The mile mark passed by unnoticed, but 2 miles passed by in just under 10:50 or exactly what it was last Sunday. Given this course isn't nearly as flat as that one and I was trying to hold something back I was pleasantly surprised. Overall time something over 16 minutes, how much I don't know as I cleared the watch and expected to see my official time later on in the results. Which it isn't. Short cooldown before having lunch and then a wandering walk around downtown. Spectacularly nice weather for this time of year, warm and sunny.

PM - 45 minutes easy, Rockland Ave to Silver Hill back through Levittown. Unexpected bonus run with the CH that I couldn't pass up. Mellow jog with a break to check out Silver Hill. A nice time all around.

No comments: