9/8/15

Sun 9/6 - AM 80 minutes incl. uphill road race

Umpteenth time up Mt. Greylock. The race was pushed forward a day this year, and I believe an earlier start as well. I appreciated both changes, particularly with the heat and sticky air that built up over the course of the day. Feeling strung out and tired after the week's exertions and the resumption of coaching duties, which left me feeling really flat while trying to warm up. Had me thinking the race wouldn't exactly be a stellar affair which turned out to be the case. Took it out at what I felt was a relatively conservative pace but wilted anyway further up the hill. The short climb near mile 6 just after entering the War Memorial park was particularly pathetic. Unable to match the guy I beat last year after he passed me at about the same point as in last year's race. Instead I fell back gradually and inexorably. Overall the time was almost exactly the same as a year ago but I think a lot of that can be put down to more favorable conditions this time around. Toe was feeling fairly sore by the end, as the pushing off in thinner racing shoes didn't treat it well. After a brief cooldown jog in the parking lot, joined my SO for a nice hike from the summit to Peck Brook Falls which included a fairly sublime foot soak. Later in the afternoon a bike ride a few miles down the rail trail, again with the loveliest of company. Overall a very active day.

No comments: