7/14/15

Sat 7/11 - double 65 minutes incl. 7 mile trail race plus 60 minutes elliptigo and 20 minutes in Walden

AM - 65 minutes incl. 7 mile trail race. Faced with the dilemma of choosing between a short and long race that both started at the same time on the same course, I once again outfoxed myself and chose poorly by going with the long one. In this case, 2 loops versus one. Realized after about 15 minutes that I should have done the short race, which was only confirmed when I saw the two guys ahead of me keep on going after one lap. Thought I could reel in second for a brief time but realized around the 20 minute mark I was sorely mistaken and dialed it back from there. The entire second loop was an exercise in get it over with. Particularly frustrating were the 20 sharp (90+ degree) turns in the final mile or so of the course, turns that I had already done on the first time around. Apparently the mountain bike crowd, who would be using the course later on in the day, love this type of thing. Warm at the start and getting hotter with each passing minute, thankfully much of the loop was in the shade. Overall a fairly pathetic effort that shouldn't have been a surprise given how late I got to bed the last two nights and the cumulative effect of the short work week/long work day. Bruised ego salved by the fact that I was able to cling to the final money spot despite the terrible performance.

PM - 60 minutes elliptigo plus 20 minutes in Walden. The dip in the pond was the highlight of a very hot day. Found the antidote to hammering on the elliptigo, i.e. riding it after a hard effort earlier in the day. Ran out of gas on the way back and had to stick to lower gears.

No comments: