3/14/15

Fri 3/13 - AM 4.5 hours run/hike

Tanque Verde peak round trip from the visitor center. In fact the whole thing took right about five hours including breaks, of which there were at least 30 minutes worth and probably a bit more. Just under 1:40 from the trail register to Juniper Basin, another 30 minutes of running to get to the peak from there. While I was prepared for the multiple false summits the rockiness of some of the upper stretches and overall curviness of the trail did start to take a toll on my nerves after an hour or so. Made a conscious effort to start steady and controlled to lessen the sting of the inevitable bonk. Quads are almost back to normal although the thudding descent did them no favors of course. Calf has been holding up better than expected the past few days. Descent was highlighted by a run in with a gila monster that was sitting across the trail when I came around a corner. Not happy to see me at all. It waddled away into the underbrush while I fumbled to get my camera which I had put away by then.















No comments: