10/7/14

Sun 10/5 - double, 1:45 total incl. 5k road race and mile race

AM - 60 minutes incl. 5k road race. A couple of years since I've raced on this dead-flat out and back stretch of Day Blvd in South Boston. Strictly a sandbagging mission which was successful. In fact, came second like last time even though my time was 30+ seconds slower this go-round. With another race coming up in the afternoon the idea was to expend as little effort as possible. Feeling somewhat flat on the warmup so this was a concern going in. Some doubt at the beginning but I was able to get a 20 second gap on the only competition (Titus, of course) by the turnaround. I had promised myself I would shut it down at 2 miles if it was in the bag, which was easier said than done. In fact I only really backed off in the last 600m. Hindsight's 20/20 but as I had almost a minute on Titus at the end I certainly could have decelerated a little more. Mile splits of 5:16, 5:23, and 5:46. I was impressed with how close the first two splits were to each other, as there was a strong headwind from 1.5 to 2 miles.

PM - 45 minutes incl. mile race at Franklin Park. Inadvisable as it is to try a double like this I couldn't resist signing up for this unique event on top of the morning's 5k. Once again, hoping to win my age group and having no idea who the competition might be I went much harder than necessary in hindsight. In the moment I ended up getting caught up in the mad rush. First 400 passed in around 70, 800 in 2:25. Somewhat dubious about that mark as the second quarter headed into a gradual uphill. Third 400 in 85 but it sure didn't feel like that. Taken out by a couple of guys in the last 400 including in the last 50 which was annoying but predictable. Still trying to clear the lactate from the first 400. Course was basically the first mile of the cross course but done backwards and with the first 600 on roads instead of grass. I'll likely be paying for this double the next couple of days but still a worthwhile experience.

No comments: