6/11/14

Tue 6/10 - PM 70 minutes incl. 4k-3k-2k-1k

Longfellow loop. Aiming for the kind of cutdown work I've done on the track but without all the running around turns. Feeling a bit frazzled going in thanks to yet another night of tossing and turning. Nothing as bad as last Thursday but I was quite ready to go to bed and fall asleep rather than go to bed and lie there. No caffeine to blame this time either. End result was that the nap was slightly longer than usual. Some stiffness on the warmup, right TFL and iliac crest had been bugging me at work and continued to do so. Felt better with drills and strides though and with that it was off. Some unexpected stiffness and soreness in the left heel/achilles that I wasn't expecting. Made a conscious effort to start out under control and leave room for improvement. This was fine through the first 400m of the 4k, but reaching the km mark in 3:35 instead of the 3:40 or so I had anticipated caught me by surprise. Perhaps my carefully measured marks on the road aren't that accurate or more likely I'm cutting tangents once the road starts curving back and forth. Regardless, the first kilo split was too quick for the progression I wanted to do. Felt just a bit too quick and I figured it might come back to bite me later on which it did. 3k was a very gradual deceleration from one km to the next. Hitting the first 200 in under 40 didn't help as I was forced to compensate after that. Knew I was cooked for the 2k and promised myself I would hold it back somewhat, instead the second km was 8 seconds slower than the first. Final rep was more controlled but by then it was just about getting it over with w/o putting myself any further in the hole. Sticky and warm conditions left me drenched, thankfully left the shirt behind at the start. Had I done this on the track the specific numbers might have been a little bit different but the overall pattern would have been the same. Between the humidity and overdoing it on the 4k I was quite spent by the end of the day. No problems falling asleep tonight.

3:35.8/3:33.4/3:31.6/3:23.7 (+10 seconds for the final 50m to make it a full 4k) - 14:14.5
4R
3:28.9/3:30.8/3:32.9 - 10:32.6
3R
3:28.3/3:36.6 - 7:04.9
2R
3:31.3


No comments: